The pre-sale of a highly-anticipated smart anchoring system, VisionAnchor, has launched. This new kit from Slovenian start-up SeaVision provides a safer and smarter anchor system with video monitoring and accurate location tracking. It's already won accolades from the European GNSS Agency as a prototype to watch. As the world's first smart anchoring system, it brings older GPS tracking technology into the future by offering real-time, real-life results. Here's how this new system can revolutionize sailing.SeaVision provides a safer and smarter anchor system with video monitoring and accurate location tracking.
What is VisionAnchor?
VisionAnchor is an all-in-one solution that includes an anchor cam, smart buoy, and app-based controls to keep track of your anchor at all times. The brainchild of SeaVision, it came to development when the company's co-founder, Matija Jašarov, lost an anchor when sailing. Few things can ruin a sailing trip quite like a lost or lodged anchor, and few things are more stressful than anchoring safely. Anchor-based issues generally require someone to dive down to check on them. Taking the essence of similar monitoring solutions from households, like the humble Baby Cam, VisionAnchor includes a 24/7 cam that keeps track of your anchor for you. This allows you to see exactly what's going on beneath the water's surface at all times, including during the night, thanks to infrared lights. No more unnecessary diving trips, hazards, or painful insurance claims; you can find the right spot for your anchor before you drop and keep an eye on it long after.
How does VisionAnchor work?
VisionAnchor includes a unique smart buoy that attaches to your boat's anchor. This brilliant bit of kit contains a wealth of high-tech features that allow you to keep proper track of your anchor. The camera itself is designed to be attached close to your anchor itself. A strong retractable cable then connects this camera to the smart buoy above. Aside from processing the high-resolution camera, the buoy also connects with GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, and Galileo satellites for precise position tracking. As the buoy connects to your smartphone via Wi-Fi, you can keep track, receive alerts and ensure that your anchor falls perfectly where it should.In the animation above you can see how VisionAnchor works with a unique smart buoy that attaches to your boat's anchor and watches your anchor moves.
An all-in-one system with 7 distinct elements
- Smart buoy: The brain of the operation is a state-of-the-art smart buoy, the central hub that attaches to the anchor and camera. This feeds information and provides alerts to the VisionAnchor app. It essentially works by attaching to your anchor with a 20 m cable.
- High-definition camera: Fastened to the cable is a high-definition camera that's viewable directly from the app, complete with infrared lights for night-time viewing. This is connected to your anchor with a standard D-shackle at a set camera distance of 1.5 m. Taking into account tidal statistics, the maximum depth of use is therefore 18 m. After attaching the kit to your anchor, you can check both the live-feed camera on your smartphone and set up alerts.
- Anchor tracking: The true power of the VisionAnchor isn't just in its live camera feeds but in its accurate anchor tracking. This self-adjusting system means that you'll receive precise notifications if and when your anchor deviates from a specific radius. This can be changed within your app depending on your needs.
- Battery life: The VisionAnchor's battery itself provides up to 5 hours of continuous live video feed or 3 hours when using the lights. In practical tests, this allows you to keep the buoy running for 3 days while viewing the camera 10 times per day.
- Anchor alarm: The anchor alarm runs 24/7 throughout the battery period. You'll be alerted if your anchor moves so you can make adjustments and react in a timely fashion.
- Safety features: There are some smart safety features, too. If you should lose your phone, for instance, the anchor detects when it's disconnected and will still emit an alert sound when in trouble without needing to be logged in via the app.
- Convenience features: Other useful aspects of this kit include an on-off magnetic key for using the device and a simple-to-use wireless charging device. This attaches to one of the buoy's surface-side platforms for quick and easy charging that locks in place with a magnet.
Why choose VisionAnchor?
VisionAnchor aims to revolutionize the way sailing boats and motorboats anchor. The chief USP here is that the VisionAnchor provides one of the most precise location readings available. That's because the buoy tracks real-time movement with a sub-meter position reading, rather than relying on the sometimes-patchy GPS tracking of a vessel itself. Other apps that provide GPS tracking for anchors and mooring often rely on a far larger radius to track movement. The result is a less-reliable system with false alarms and imprecise readings. The VisionAnchor avoids this by implementing a self-adjusting power spring to keep the buoy fixed above the anchor. You can set up a geo-fence radius of between 3 to 20 meters to provide exact alarms. If your anchor moves out from these fenced parameters, the high-position tracking sends out a warning so that you can respond before it's too late. This pinpoint precision means that you'll sleep better knowing that your anchor is safe.
What else does VisionAnchor offer?
Aside from reassurance, the VisionAnchor also makes the whole anchoring process streamlined and convenient. You'll save time and stress as you can see precisely where your anchor is being lowered. In the long run, this will avoid any lengthy anchoring issues. Up to 50% of captains make the dive down to check on their anchor at some point. You'll stay dry and safe observing the whole process from your smartphone or tablet device. This is done by avoiding the stresses of "blind" anchoring. With a live-feed camera, you'll know precisely where your anchor lands, whether it's dug in place sufficiently, and how easy it will be to retrieve. You can essentially use the HD camera to help find the best place to anchor before lowering.VisionAnchor makes the anchoring process streamlined and convenient. Use the HD camera to help find the best place to anchor before lowering.
VisionAnchor just launched the pre-sale campaign
The VisionAnchor early bird pre-sale is already finished, but the second phase of the pre-sale campaign was launched a few days ago, which offers 20 % off the price. After the current pre-sale phase, the price will become fixed – making it a great opportunity to invest in the system. You can expect these innovative units, bought in the pre-sale stage, to ship out in spring 2023. This is also the year that will be big for SeaVision. After gaining support from auspicious programs like the EU Agency for the Space Programme (EUSPA), they plan to launch a product roadshow in marinas across the Mediterranean sea and all around Europe and UK.