Safe return to Boating: Covid 19 Advice to Boat Owners
Before putting to sea after such a long period of inactivity we strongly recommend that boat owners should:
1. Take extra care to access their craft safely and in accordance with government guidance on travel and social distancing.
2. Carry out a check to ensure that their craft has remained seaworthy and mechanically sound and in particular check for fuel contamination resulting from condensation in the tank(s) blocked filters and fuel lines etc.
3. Check that emergency equipment such as Lifejackets, flares, VHF radio, PLBs etc are still in working order and remain in date.
4. Give due regard to the prevailing and forecast weather conditions.
5. Pay due consideration to the risk that their activities may result in having to depend on emergency services. Particularly at a time when social distancing is impacting on lifeboat crews and Coast Rescue Teams.
6. Bear in mind that some marine leisure facilities in the area may still be closed and therefore unavailable.
7. Make sure you always have a means of calling for help (such as a VHF radio or mobile phone in a waterproof pouch) and keep it within reach.